Monday, September 17, 2012

Runner's World

My interest in running began with a fitness test in college. I was taking this Fitness and Wellness class as an elective to try and get into shape. We learned about lifting and aerobic exercise. At the end of the semester we had to complete a fitness test as our final exam and it included a 3 mile run in a set amount of time - I want to say 30 minutes, but maybe it was 45? Either way, it seemed impossible at the time.

I had never really ran for exercise. Maybe in volleyball in high school, but probably not considering I was the manager and never actually made the team. I focused more on violin and theatre and my love of all things Japanese back then. I didn't run. The most athletic I got was dance rehearsals for the summer musicals.

But I trained and I tried and I blasted some Melanie C "I Turn To You" and I managed to do it! I remember feeling rather smug as some of the fit college guys actually gave up halfway and opted to make it up later. While little old chubby, nonathletic me had made it through the never ending loops of that dismal track. (Granted, I think they might have been hungover.)

Around this time I received a flier in the mail for Team In Training. I'm sure I just made it onto the mailing list somehow, but for some reason I was convinced my old college roommate from England had signed me up because she had recently begun training for races and I thought she was absolutely insane. Either way, it was meant to be. Somehow I talked myself into attending a chapter meetings which turned out to be led by my boyfriend's roommate's girlfriend. I seriously had no idea she worked for them at the time. All of these random coincidences already had me reeling and then I saw that one of the race options was the 2007 Walt Disney World Marathon.

I am a proud Walt Disney World College Program Alumni. I participated in the program from June 2002-January 2003. I had always been a huge Disney fangirl and that experience really only cemented my love for life. I was a "Merchantainment Hostess", which basically translates to souvenir seller. I worked in Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom and I was one of the last people to hand stitch the Mickey Mouse ears before it all went computerized. I had seen runners while stopped at crosswalks on my way to work, so I knew these races existed, but I had never imagined doing one myself.

But now, almost 5 years out of the program and 2 years since my last trip to WDW, I was eager to return. I was daunted by the $3,000 fundraising goal, but I decided to go for it. Now if you're ever looking for the best way to do your first marathon, I cannot recommend TNT enough. Their training schedule is simple, but effective. And I had such an amazing time with my chapter. They made the long runs feel short and definitely helped put the fun in my fundraising. I held poker tournaments and raffles and begged openly on Facebook until I'd gotten to $2,500. Then my mentors stepped in and offered their extra funds to get me to my goal and they managed to do so without making me feel like a failure. Honestly, I hadn't done bad for a college kid thanks to the support of my friends and family. But they made sure I hit the mark.

TNT took such good care of us. We stayed at Port Orleans and went to the pasta party before the race. Then on race day - let's just say I am convinced that no one cheers louder than the TNT supporters. And while I was slow as molasses and my pace partner with a wonderful middle-aged dad with a knee injury, I still did it! My very first marathon...


And then I was hooked. My brother signed us up for the 2008 Goofy, my husband proposed to me at the 2008 Expedition Everest, and my first trip to Disneyland was for the 2012 inaugural Tinkerbell. There is something so special about Disney races for me that just keeps me coming back for more. Of course there's the Disney magic - running through the parks and seeing tons of characters and epic swag/bling - but for me it's also a return to my time as a cast member. Being behind the scenes and seeing a side of the parks most guests don't see. Having Operations cast members waving you through. Passing by costuming and seasonal floats. Watching the fog rise off the hosed down asphalt as the sun rises. It makes me nostalgic for a time when that was my normal side of the parks and those are all good memories.

So while I do enjoy running for the sake of running and my health, I don't think I'll ever run a race further than a 10K anywhere but Disney. An important fact that I have learned about myself from my running experience these past 6 years is that I need a race goal in order to keep my training strong and on track. And nothing motivates you like the Mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment