Friday, September 21, 2012

Methods to My Madness

I've talked a lot about eating philosophies and running theories, but what am I actually up to? Well, let me tell ya. 

I consider myself to be a mix of Primal and Optimal Paleo in terms of how we are trying to eat. Our current Paleo Plan 6 week program doesn't include any dairy, but we allow a bit of cheese and dark chocolate outside of it. We also follow the 80/20 approach right now, with an Off Day on Saturdays - generally so I can get a bagel after my long runs. I'm sorry, but one of my favorite things about running is how bagels and bananas get passed out like candy at races and I just can't give them up completely! Besides, with our stomachs getting smaller and our tolerance getting lower we can't actually go too crazy. But we do enjoy some beer and tortilla chips. Otherwise, we don't eat after 10pm and we mainly drink water or occasionally red wine. And just for full disclosure, I have also been getting a pumpkin latte on Monday's because it's autumn and they're heavenly and I like a boost at the beginning of my work week.

Pumpkin flavored anything doesn't count against me.

I have had just about every brand of shoe out there - Asics, Mizuno, Brooks, Saucony - I never seem to be able to stick with one kind. New models of the same shoe can feel so different. I currently run in a pair of bright blue Nike Pegasus 29 trainers and they feel like running on clouds. I named them Helios - a billion nerd points to anyone who gets that reference. And before you judge, they are named because you name your shoes in Nike+ - an app I adore. I just love having that woman tell me how far I've gone. Plus acheesements and NikeFuel are like crack to a gamer. I've been running to music most of my running life, but I've recently been trying nothing and audio books. My favorite sports bra is the Pocket Bra by Gracie's Gear and my favorite socks are Balega. I discovered both of these at the 2007 WDW Marathon Weekend Expo and against the advice of everyone ever I bought them the day before the race and wore them the first time while running my first marathon. And I felt fantastic afterwards. So. Take from that what you will. I have a FuelBelt that I barely fit into these days, but it is helpful. I like dry weave race shirts and I've really enjoyed my pair of Underarmour running shorts. I am also discovering the joys of calf compression sleeves post workout and I'm interested in trying compression socks for running. (My friend Desiree has recommended CEP.) I believe Body Glide is essential and BioFreeze is like Christmas for your aching muscles - followed closely by a good old fashioned ice bath. 

Nike Pegasus 29 - "Helios"

So that's me in a nutshell! I've also finally decided on my training schedule. It's a hybrid of Hal Higdon and Team in Training, with the intention of doing longer runs during the weekdays if I can but understanding that my schedule may not allow for it. Most folks suggest that your long run should be around 20-30% of your weekly mileage and some of these weeks don't come close to that, but we'll see how it goes.

I will try to actually Crosstrain on R days, but definitely on Sundays after short, easy runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment