Monday, September 24, 2012

WRD


I'm not sure I'll ever get these posted on Sunday, but I'll keep trying!

Marathon Training Week 2
Miles Ran: 19
Long Run: 9 miles
Cross-training: Not so much this week.

Pros: Got some unsolicited encouragement on my 9 mile long run Saturday by unwittingly running through a neighborhood 5K. Was kind of awkward getting cheered by middle school cheerleaders and having people try to hand me water, but also very sweet. Though I couldn't help thinking, "I'm actually running 3 times a 5K today, but thanks..."
Cons: Had a few more slips than usual this week thanks to poor planning on our part for lunches. And Friday night seems to get troublesome - we're so ready for our weekend we sometimes just feel too lazy to cook.

Tunes: I decided to try something new this week on my runs - audio books! I downloaded Tina Fey's Bossypants and it is hilarious. But it will only last me another few runs, so I am on the lookout for my next choice.
Talkies: Not much TV beyond football this week. The fella's taken over the living room most nights with Borderlands 2. I did catch a few of the return shows as the new season begins - Happy Endings, Parenthood, The Office. And I'm already into Go On and The New Normal. I'm going to run out of hours, I swear.

Favorite Recipe: We were on week 2 of the Paleo Plan Quickstart Guide and this week wasn't as strong as the week before, so this is actually very easy to answer this time - Coconut Chicken with Zucchini and Squash Saute. (No photo, I'm afraid. We were starving that night and just dug in!)


Coconut Chicken
Makes dinner for two, with leftovers for lunch. Approximate cooking time: 20 minutes.

Ingredients
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup almond flour
1 egg
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 Tbs coconut oil
Instructions
1) Mix almond flour, shredded coconut, and sea salt together in a bowl.
2) Beat egg in separate bowl.
3) Dip chicken breast in egg and roll in dry mixture.
4) Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add coconut oil when hot.
5) Pan fry chicken until fully cooked.

Zucchini and Squash SautéMakes 4 servings. Approximate cooking time: 25 minutes.

Ingredients
1 Tbs coconut oil
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (6˝-8˝ ) zucchini, cut into
3˝x1/4˝ matchsticks

Instructions
1) In large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and cook 3-4 minutes until onion is tender and translucent.
2) Add zucchini, summer squash and garlic, and cook until almost tender (5-6 minutes).
3) Stir in tomato sauce and cook until heated through.

~~~~~~~

This was seriously scrumptuous. The flavors and textures were delicious. I love crunchy, so the coconut flakes really make the chicken pop for me. I hope you'll try it!

3 comments:

  1. I love audiobooks! I usually get them on CD at the library and listen in the car. I listened to a lot more back when I commuted 1.5 hours a day, but now I get them for road trips. I have an audiobook tag on GoodReads, so you can check out what I've listened to if you're interested. I'll make a few recommendations, though.

    Series:
    Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne by Julia Spencer-Fleming (I am so invested in her characters I pine away for them when I'm not (re)reading the books.)
    Buckshaw Chronicles by Alan Bradley (It's like Nancy Drew was a 12-year-old aspiring chemist in post-WWII England - GOLD!)
    Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry & Ridley Pearson (read by Jim Dale, of HP fame!)

    Written and read by:
    Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell
    Earth by Jon Stewart (very short, but I laughed hysterically the whole time)
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (even if you've already read it, it's pretty sweet to hear him read it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, apparently I need to be checking out our local library! I was using Audible this month on a free trial, but it's $15 a month after. Library sounds like a much smarter option. ;D

      Thanks for the recs!

      Delete
  2. No problem! I will offer book recommendations ANY TIME.

    ReplyDelete